Integrated Gmail layout 2022
Gmail has a new integrated view in which Email, Chat, Rooms and Meet are arranged in one place. This will be rolled out gradually over the coming period. If you receive the notification below, you can already try it. (You may need to be patient and hit F5 after 5 minutes before the new look is applied).
With the new layout you can do the following:
- View Google apps that are integrated into the Gmail main menu.
- Viewing specific app menus in the collapsible pane.
- Get notifications about new chat and space messages via notification bubbles.
- Move the mouse pointer over the icon of each app to see a preview of what is happening without changing the context.
Overview integrated display
- Button to show or hide the Main menu in the collapsible pane (see 4)
- Selection menu of the integrated Google apps
- Notification bubble
- Collapsible pane
- App window
- Status indicator
New app menu functionality
All Google apps in Gmail are listed in the leftmost menu. Click on an app's name to switch between them or hover over an icon to preview. You will see the main menu for each app in a pane that can be collapsed.
You can hide or show the collapsible pane at any time.
To hide or show the collapsible pane, click on Show Main Menu or Hide Main Menu in the top left corner.
New chat functionality
The Chat tab can be used to access individual chat messages or group chats.
To open the chat in a small pop-up window at the bottom of the screen, click on Open in pop-up at the top of a chat or next to the chat message in the side window. The window remains on the screen when you move to other tabs, such as Email or Spaces.
Notification bubbles for chat messages
When you receive a new chat or space message, you will see the message in a bubble in the bottom left-hand corner. If you move the mouse pointer over the bubble, you will see a preview of the message.
This is how you respond to a message shown in a bubble:
- Click on the bubble to open the message and respond directly via the Chat or Spaces tab.
- If you want to open the chat in a small pop-up window at the bottom of the screen and respond, click Open in pop-up or on Reply.
This is how you turn on notification bubbles:
- In the top right corner of your Gmail window, next to the status indicator, click on More Options and then Settings for chat notifications.
- In the window that appears, tick the boxes next to Allow chat notifications and Open chat bubbles for new messages.
- At the bottom of the window, click Finished.
- To turn off notification bubbles, uncheck the box next to Open chat bubbles for new messages.
- If you want to open Chat Bubbles in a pop-up view instead of full screen, uncheck the box next to Open Chat Bubbles in full screen.
Preview integrated display
Discover the new integrated display in the YouTube video below.
Restore old view
If you still want to go back to the old view, you can choose "Back to original Gmail view" in the "Settings menu". Please note, however, that this new view will become Google's new standard at the end of Q2. It will then no longer be possible to use the old view.