Some time ago, Google announced that Google Currents would come to an end in 2023. Although a precise end date has not yet been specified, the curtain will indeed come down now that a migration option to move Google Currents data to Google Spaces has been introduced.
After Google starts moving the data to Google Spaces, Google Currents can still be used until the beginning of 2023.
Knowing what is and is not transferred is crucial because Currents' functionality differs from that of Google Spaces.
Register for Migration
To qualify for migration by Google, Google Workspace domain administrators can apply for this.
The Currents settings tab in the Admin dashboard allows for the registration of a domain for migration.
- Go to the Admin console
- Go to Apps > Google Workspace > Currents
- At the top, click Migrate to spaces
- Check the box
- Click Save
When the domain is submitted for migration, it is important to activate Chat functionality on the domain and set the appropriate Chat settings for the organisation.
The migration's fundamental tenet is that:
- Migration only occurs in communities with at least one member and fresh postings dating back to July 2020.
- Only content published after July 2020 will be migrated (content before this date will not be migrated).
- Communities with no members or posts won't be moved.
- In January 2023, the migration dates will be released.
- The information will only be accessible on Google Spaces after the migration has been completed.
- On the same day, all communities are relocated.
An individual Currents entry is transferred to a Spaces inline thread. In the Spaces thread, comments made on the Currents post are also made. Google Spaces does not support all Currents posts. An outline of posts that are not migrated can be found here .
Information that won't be moved:
- Videos (Currents shared on YouTube)
- Organisation-wide posts (sent to entire domain → not to specific community)
- Reposted articles (post reshared in another domain, community, or topic)
- Categories (labels used for various postings in the community to sort by topic)
After migration, Currents data from the domain that hasn't been moved can be downloaded using Google Take-out.
More information will follow in the upcoming months. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us!